At AKD, we understand that in order for companies to remain competitive and relevant, they must take a proactive approach to sustainability, working closely with all stakeholders to address ESG-related risks and opportunities. The ESG-team at AKD is aware of the latest developments and is able to collaborate and think along with you to face the challenges of tomorrow.
We actively advise our clients on a wide range of ESG issues, including climate change, energy transition, biodiversity, circular economy, social responsibility, and governance. Our experience includes advising public and private clients on their investments in renewable energy projects, energy transition, climate adaptation, circular economy, biodiversity, social, and governance initiatives.
At AKD, we believe that businesses that are at the forefront of a sustainable future and embrace ESG principles will benefit from it and will become and stay successful in the future.
Corporate social responsibility is key, also within AKD. We are therefore proud to be ranked as a recommended firm in The Legal 500 Green Guide. We also render pro bono legal services (e.g. advising on permits, regulations, and contracts) to The Ocean Cleanup to support them reaching their goal to eliminate the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Our internal initiatives complement our clients’ challenges towards a green transition.
Our team consists of experienced professionals who are dedicated to providing clients with high-quality, strategic advice on ESG matters.
Some of our recent work includes:
- We have been retained by non-profit foundation Stichting Car Claim, initiating proceedings before the District Court of Amsterdam on behalf of over 400,000 Dutch car owners impacted by diesel emission violations and manipulations attributed to manufacturers Volkswagen Group, Renault, Dacia, and Daimler.
- Supporting the energy transition platform InnoEnergy in raising and investing capital, we have advised on €1.5bn of fundraising and €200m of investments into battery storage, green hydrogen, and renewable energy innovations.
- We have experience advising public and private clients on their investments in renewable energy projects. For example, we assisted provincial development agency OOST NL with all legal and tax services related to their new energy transition, climate adaptation, circular economy, and biodiversity investment fund.
- We support financial institutions with the implementation of the Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation and the Taxonomy Regulation.
- On a regular basis, we carry out (ESG-) compliance checks for our clients and act as their sparring partner in this respect.
- Our contracting specialists advise our clients on specific (clauses in) contracts with their customers and suppliers with respect to ESG-related responsibilities.